Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grandma's Cherry Pie & Spaghetti

Well, I know I haven't blogged but twice since beginning this blog! I actually thought about deleting it since I wasn't using it, but I thought I would use it today to share some favorite recipes.

Grandma Carolyn's Cherry Pie and Spaghetti & Meatballs

Grandma's Cherry Pie Recipe
"This delicious cherry pie has a sweet and tart taste that can't be beat!"

Crust: 
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
9 tablespoons cold water

Filling: 
1 can tart cherries in water
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons flour

Directions: 
Cut shortening into flour with fork in medium size bowl until only small clumps appear. Add cold water and mix until dough forms but don't over mix. (You'll want to use your hands) Separate dough into two equal size balls. Roll one out and place in bottom of pie pan. Roll the other half out and cut into strips. 

Drain cherry juice from can into a small bowl. Add the sugar and flour to the juice and mix well. Dumpcherries into pie pan and add the juice mixture back in.  Lay the dough strips in a criss-cross pattern over the pie, pinch the edges, and sprinkle a little sugar over the top of the pie. Bake for 45 minutes on 350. 



Grandma's Spaghetti & Meatballs

Meatballs: 
1 lb ground meat
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons grated onion
1 cup dry bread crumbs (I use crackers)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Combine and form into balls. (I usually refrigerate for an hour or over night so they stay together better) Brown in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. 

Sauce: 
2 cans tomato sauce
2 tablespoon Worcestershire
4 teaspoons chili powder
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 teaspoons mustard

Combine in sauce pan, bring to a boil. Pour over meat balls, simmer for 30 minutes.

I use angel hair pasta and add bit by bit so I can see how saucy it is. Nobody likes dry spaghetti : ) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment